Rydal Penrhos Community
Rugby: Six Academy graduates help RGC to Llanelli win

Rugby: Six Academy graduates help RGC to Llanelli win

A number of former Rydal Penrhos Rugby Academy graduates helped RGC picked up back-to-back Principality Premiership victories thanks to a 39-19 success over Llanelli.

Dan Owen, Danny Cross and the returning Dion Jones all started the contest at Stadiwm Zip World, with Joe Simpson, Mei Parry and Efan Jones making an impact from the bench.

The Gogs notched the first try of the contest early on when Billy McBryde rounded off a fine attacking move to go over after two minutes. The fly-half dusted himself off to despatch the conversion.

This provoked a strong response from the away side, who reduced the arrears on eight minutes courtesy of an Ioan Hughes penalty, and they cut the gap to just one point a minute later when Jonny Lewis fired a stunning free-kick through the posts from halfway.

Mark Jones’ men began to see more of the ball and they were rewarded for their improved spell on the quarter hour mark when Iolo Evans managed to touch down after super work from Tom Hughes. McBryde fired over the extras.

This was swiftly followed by another RGC score on 33 minutes which came through a McBryde penalty following another good period of possession, but the Gogs were pegged back just before the break when a poor lineout presented a chance to Tom Phillips, who powered his way over for the away side’s first try of the game. Hughes was successful with the conversion attempt.

After the interval saw Hughes drill yet another penalty for the away side after Tom Hughes and Cam Davies failed to capitalise on try scoring opportunities in the opening exchanges for the hosts, but they did extend their led on 45 minutes when McBryde continued his excellent form with the boot with a free-kick of his own.

The visitors continued to probe the home rearguard and another infringement after 51 minutes presented a penalty chance to Hughes, and the talented number ten made no mistake to make it a one-point game.

Crucially the home side were able to weather the storm midway through the contest to keep their slender advantage intact, and they pulled clear once again after 62 minutes when a surging drive from the Gogs’ pack resulted in Evan Yardley going over from close range. McBryde slotted the extras.

Jones’ men sealed the win late on when Andrew Williams crashed over for a bonus pointy try which was converted by McBryde, and George Roberts crossed the white wash soon after to round off the scoring.

Share this story